Posts Categorized: News
Dogs and cats have been an integral part of literature going back as far as the loyal Argos in The Odyssey. Beloved pets are featured in a wide range of wonderful books from the classics like White Fang by Jack London all the way to Fang in the Harry Potter series.
Check out our favorite shore reading for pet lovers of all ages, and feel free to comment with your own favorite ‘pet lit’!
Dog and Cat Books for Babies and Toddlers
Doggies by Sandra Boynton
Good Dog Carl by Alexandra Day
The Pokey Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Dog and Cat Books for Younger Kids
Clifford the Big Red Dog series by Normal Bridwell
Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
Dewey the Library Cat by Brett Witter and Vicki Myron
The Tale of Tom Kitten and Samuel Whiskers or the Roly Poly Pudding by Beatrix Potter
Ellie’s Story or Bailey’s Story: A Dog’s Purpose Novel chapter book series by W. Bruce Cameron
Go Dog Go by P.D.Eastman (beginning reader book)
Dog and Cat Books for Young Adults
The Warriors series by Kate Cary, Cherith Baldry, Tui Sutherland
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Dog and Cat Books for Adults
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Merle’s Door by Mary Triola
A Dog’s Life: Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin
Oogy: The Dog only a Family could Love by Larry Levin
The True Tails of Baker and Taylor: The Library Cats Who Left Their Pawprints on a Small Town…and the World by Jan Louch, Lisa Rogak
Dogs and cats have been an integral part of literature going back as far as the loyal Argos in The Odyssey. Beloved pets are featured in a wide range of wonderful books from the classics like White Fang by Jack London all the way to Fang in the Harry Potter series. Check out our favorite… Read more »
Jersey Dogs: Fun at the shore
Local beach fun and safety
Most locals know that the best time to take your dog to the beach is off season, but summer season fun in the sun can still be had if you know where to go.
Sandy Hook: Dogs love to romp on the bay side of Sandy Hook – Horseshoe Cove and Plum Island – where gentle water invites splashing and swimming. Leashed dogs are permitted year round (often non-leashed dogs play here too though it is not permitted) 5am-10pm. Sandy Hook Dog Beach Information
Asbury Park 8th Ave Beach: Dogs are permitted at this beach year round, but only during off-peak times in the summer – from 6pm-8:30am. Unleashed dogs are permitted if they are under owner control and adult supervision. Asbury Park Dog Beach Website
*Note: While you are in Asbury Park, swing by the Wonder Bar for Yappy Hour – a really fun way to meet other dogs and their owners (& enjoy a cocktail!) – and notice that they have a special small dog only Yappy Hour for petite pups.
Manasquan Dog Beach (Fisherman’s Cove): Leashed dogs are permitted from 7am-dusk year round at a section of the beach in the Fisherman’s Cove Conservation Area (often non-leashed dogs play here too though it is not permitted). Information on Fisherman’s Cove Dog Beach
Dog Beach Etiquette & Safety Tips
• Keep all unleashed dogs under voice control at all times. If you can’t count on your dog to come when called, keep him on leash and practice “come” at home.
• The number one complaint about dogs in public is when owners don’t pick up poop, so please help keep dogs welcome in our community and pick up after your dog.
• Not all dogs are natural swimmers – make sure your dog knows how to swim before letting him into the ocean or bay, and consider a life jacket.
• Do not let your dog drink salt water – Make sure to bring plenty of fresh water from home
• White dogs and hairless dogs should wear pet-friendly sunblock – they can get sunburned just like us!
• Rinse off after playing – sand and salt water can be irritating and drying to a dog’s skin and coat
• Make sure your dog isn’t becoming overheated in the summer sun
• Running in sand is as hard on dogs as it is on people, so make sure your dog takes plenty of breaks and don’t let a dog not used to beach running stay too long.
Jersey Dogs: Fun at the shore Local beach fun and safety Most locals know that the best time to take your dog to the beach is off season, but summer season fun in the sun can still be had if you know where to go. Sandy Hook: Dogs love to romp on the bay side… Read more »